30+ Quotes From ALEXANDER The Great
Alexander the great quotes with images from the greatest military leader and warfare genius. Be inspired and enjoy these sayings on Quotela.
The military leader who marked a period of history was born in 356 BC. Different sources state different dates, but July 20, 21, or 22 are most often mentioned, as the dates when he was born – which he conquered in later years.
Inspirational both for historical research and folk tales, about Alexander the Great, his life and the way he inspired people from his time, but also later times, you can always read many interesting things.
Below you will find some interesting facts about Alexander The Great.
- Alexander the Great managed to conquer most of the world known until then, and at the same time he was the king of Macedonia, the Egyptian pharaoh, the king of Persia and the king of Asia.
- Gaius Julius Caesar, Mark Antony and Octavian Augustus, each in his own age, took part in the pilgrimage to the place in Alexandria, which was then considered his tomb. Although there is an imposing sarcophagus there, which many people come to visit, the real place where the military leader was buried is still a topic of controversy among historians and archaeologists.
- He is considered the founder of at least 70 cities, 20 of which were named after him, and one even after his horse, Bukefal. Alexandria Bukefalova or Bukefalija was founded in May 326 BC, on the site of the famous battle of Hydaspes, shortly after Bukefal’s death. It is believed that its location was not far from the city of Jhelum and present-day Pakistan.
- He regularly washed his hair in a solution of the saffron plant, in order to keep the shine and color of the sun that it had.
- He was not nearly as adored by the people during his reign as after his death. Many even considered him a tyrant, who was also a drunkard.
- After he won the victory over Darius’ Persia, he began to dress like a Persian, and history says that he also took two Persian women to be his wives.
- Scientists who researched his life also came to the conclusion that he had heterochromia, which means that one eye was brown and the other blue.
- He earned the nickname “The Great” from his soldiers – who, unlike the people, admired him and considered him a commander and leader without equal.
- On one occasion, Alexander ordered a competition to be held among his soldiers. This situation can be described by the popular saying: “Whoever survives, will talk”, considering that 42 soldiers died from alcohol poisoning.
- Of Fidel Castro‘s six sons, as many as three were named after Alexander the Great: Alexis, Alejandro and Alexander.
note: The author of this post is also Alexander(LinkedIn profile), and is from Macedonia. 😀
*If you are using our images on your website, make sure to put a link back to us. THX.
Alexander the great quotes
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion
Sex and sleep alone make me conscious that I am mortal
Remember, upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all
If I could not be Alexander I would be Diogenes
For my part, I think that to a man of spirit there is no other aim and end of his labours except the labours themselves
I am indebted to my father for living, but to my teacher for living well
I had rather excel others in the knowledge of what is excellent, than in the extent of my power and dominion
How great are the dangers I face to win a good name in Athens
My father will anticipate everything. He will leave you and me no chance to do a great and brilliant deed
So far as I am concerned, I could not be accused of having set eyes, or having wished to set eyes, upon Darius’ wife
Sayings From Alexander The Great
In the end, when it’s over, all that matters is what you’ve done
True love never has a happy ending, because there is no ending to true love
Without Knowledge, Skill cannot be focused. Without Skill, Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength, Knowledge may not be applied
May God keep you away from the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger, and the revenge of the Afghans
Toil and risk are the price of glory, but it is a lovely thing to live with courage and die leaving an everlasting fame
The end and object of conquest is to avoid doing the same thing as the conquered
For my own part, I would rather excel knowledge of the highest secrets of philosophy than in arms
You shall, I question not, find a way to the top if you diligently seek for it
Are there no more worlds that I might conquer?
Whatever possession we gain by our sword cannot be sure or lasting, but the love gained by kindness and moderation is certain and durable
Ancient Quotes And Sayings
With the right attitude, self-imposed limitations vanish
Let us conduct ourselves so that all men wish to be our friends and all fear to be our enemies
Bury my body and don’t build any monument. Keep my hands out so the people know the one who won the world had nothing in hand when he died
Through every generation of the human race there has been a constant war, a war with fear. Those who have the courage to conquer it are made free
There is nothing impossible to him who will try
Soldiers, I had lately like to have been taken from you by the attempt of a few desperate men, but by the grace and providence of the gods, I am still preserved
I foresee a great funeral contest over me
On their side more men are standing, on ours more will fight
I want the road to be covered with my treasure so that everybody sees that material wealth acquired on earth, stays on earth
Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters
Share these images on social media if you liked our Alexander the great quotes. Thx.